But gasification at that time developed very slowly, and mainly in the cities that were situated near Moscow and later became a part of it: Kuntsevo, Lublino, Perovo, Tushino.
In present-day borders of the region in 1958, 7 thousand flats were gasified.
The beginning of planned gasification in the Moscow Region, which at that time already had developed industries and high density of population, was based on an enactment of the Council of Ministers of the USSR “About supplying cities, inhabited localities and industrial organizations of the Moscow Region with natural gas”. This enactment provided for gas in 41 cities and 37 villages.
Trust “MOSOBLSPETsSTROY” (today trust “MOSOBLGAZCTROY”) was the part of “Glavmosoblstroy” and gasification department, which was organized on the base of the institute “Mosoblproekt” – were created in order to realize gasification works.
In May 1958, a gas equipment department of the executive committee was created. The main mission of this department was to organize gasification and regional gas equipment exploiting.
The mission, which was specified by an enactment of the Council of Ministers of the USSR (1958), was done in 7 years. From the very beginning the main aim was the entire gasification of the Moscow Region. All works were done in furious pace, especially in 1970s. A record figure – 1100 kilometers of distribution gas pipelines and 117 thousand gasified flats – was achieved in 1974.
Such achievements were possible thanks to material resources of many customers, including population’s resources.
MOSOBLGAZ opted not to build gas-distribution stations in every gasified city, but rather we formed large inter-disrict operational trusts. They must direct the process of gasification and realize the gas equipment exploitation on the whole territory, including countryside. There are nearly over 88 trusts in the region now.
In 1992 and 1993 there was a gasification slump in the region due to financial strains, which were caused by radical economic reform in Russia.